Occupational therapy that gives children the best possible start in life
I am an independent specialist children’s Occupational Therapist, based in Milton Keynes. I work with children to help them overcome the barriers they face in doing the tasks they need to or want to do at home or school. So whether your child wants to write neater, or kick a football and not fall over, I am here to help.
If you recognise some of the below difficulties and behaviours in your child, then he is likely to benefit from occupational therapy:
- Handwriting that is messy, slow or causes pain.
- Awkward seated posture when writing, such as resting his head in his hand.
- Clumsy when doing buttons and zips, using cutlery or scissors.
- Disorganised with everyday tasks such as packing a school bag.
- Trips over his own feet when walking or running.
- Seems to bump into others or objects deliberately.
- Becomes overly distressed in noisy and busy places.
- Avoids playground equipment.
- Seems not to notice what is going on around him.
- Short concentration span in class.
- Aggressive behaviour.
- Struggles with self esteem.
In treating your child I naturally adapt to his communication style, and I am comfortable working with him regardless of whether or not his difficulties are due to a known diagnosis such as Development Coordination Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder or Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
I qualified in 2000 at the University of Pretoria, South Africa, and came to England in 2001 for a gap year with the idea to work and gain international experience. That year extended from one to eighteen and I now call England my home.
I mostly treat children from 2 - 14 years of age from various backgrounds, with a wide range of needs and with varying levels of intellectual ability. I have a specific interest in working with children who have high learning potential together with a special education need (Dual or Multiple Exceptionality or DME). In February 2019 I was awarded the 'Above and Beyond Inspirational Therapist' award for my work in this area both in the national and international community.
I strongly believe that children will thrive in an environment where everyone involved with them, works together. As a result I regularly provide online and in-person training to parents, teachers and other relevant organisations on topics such as helping children develop sensory lifestyles, and helping teachers effectively teach handwriting and run PE groups.
I am committed to excellence in my work, and regularly engage in continuous professional development activities such as attending courses and conferences, and receiving clinical supervision.
Having run the first independent and nationwide occupational therapy supervision, mentoring and coaching service for a number of years, I remain passionate about supporting my colleagues and still provide supervision on request.
I have a current enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Certificate and am a registered data controller. I also hold memberships of the following professional bodies:
- Health and Care Professions Council
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Children Young People and Families
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Independent Practice
- National Handwriting Association
Please get in touch if you have any questions or would like to find out more about the services I offer.